Potato Salad

Potato Salad

Serves: 4
Cost: ~€1
Preparation and cooking time: ~20 minutes
Calories: ~150 calories per 100g

If you’ve never tried potato salad with capers – try it, now! Swapping out most of the mayonnaise for yoghurt makes it much lighter and fresher (not to mention healthier). I like to strain my yoghurt through a coffee filter to remove as much of the whey as possible and make it really creamy. If you can restrain yourself, do make this the night before and let it rest in the refrigerator overnight. The flavours will infuse and develop and you’ll have an absolutely fantastic salad the next day!

I hate to brag as well (who am I kidding, I love to brag about this potato salad) but I never met anyone who didn’t absolutely love it, and it’s one of my most requested dishes whenever we’re invited to parties, picnics, and the like.

Author’s note: this post has been revised since the original posting. I’ve tweaked the recipe a little and added a new (and so much better) photo of the final product (here is the original photo – yuck!). I hope it will inspire you to try it!

Potato Salad

Ingredients

Potato salad ingredients

• 7 or 8 regular potatoes (or enough for 3-4 people – ~700-800g)
  • 1 small onion
  • A handful of chives (optional)
  • 4 tbsps Mayonnaise
  • 1 small pot natural yoghurt (about 1.5 decilitres)
  • 3tbsp capers
  • 1tbsp olive oil
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Instructions

1. Put a pan of water onto boil and meanwhile peel the potatoes. Chop the potatoes into small cubes and place into the boiling water.Dicing the potatoes
  2. While the potatoes are boiling, peel and chop the onion as finely as you can. Finely chop the chives, if using, and place into a bowl with the rest of the ingredients and some freshly ground salt and pepper.
    Mixing the sauce
  3. When the potatoes have boiled, drain them off – run them under cold water until cool – and then add into the bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Stir well and serve! It’s especially good if you can store it overnight in a refrigerator to allow the flavours to mingle.
    Potato Salad

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

17 Comments

1. I like exploring your site. I missed this the other day. My wife, and I, would love it. And it solves her mayo issue. I love the idea of the capers. One of our favorite ingredients!

• Thanks Greg – I love capers too, and they go so well in this. I forgot to mention that if you have some chives they go in really well too. I've made it before with some chopped basil as well – it's surprisingly good!

2. Who doesn't love potato salad… I know I do lol. Of course my southern recipe is slightly different from yours.. it still looks absolutely delicious. Yes I am a true potato salad fan lol

• I think potato salad could be the death of me – it's so delicious… I just wish it was a little healthier, lol!

How does one make a "southern style" potato salad?

3. The Best potato salade actually I have. I will make it today!

• :D Thanks Chami! Don't forget the capers… they make it awesome. Hope you're having a good day :)

4. Dear Charles, Thank you for your visits and leaving a comment.
    I do love a good potato salad. What is better in the summer with a good bar-b-que! Blessings,Catherine

• Thanks for your visit Catherine! I totally agree – ribs, chicken, potato salad and a nice glass of something cold… bliss!

5. I have some lovely potatoes that are looking for a purpose in life. I think they’ve found it. :)

No yogurt though, so I guess I’ll just have to up the Miracle Whip (mayo substitute at my house) and maybe add a splash of buttermilk. It will give me a reason to finally open that jar of capers I bought as well. I’m going to add hard boiled eggs to the salad as well.

Thanks for the inspiration. :)

• Thanks A_ – I’ve never tasted miracle whip so I couldn’t know how it’s like, but yoghurt works very well if you are able to get a hold of it :)

• PS: I HAVE MADE POTATO SALAD.

Sorry for shouting but this deserves to be inscribed into the annals of the human race as a milestone occurrence. :) More later when I actually post this event.

• lol – had you never made it before? :o

• I had never made potato salad and only tasted it a couple of times … just a bite or two of the potato after scraping off everything else in there. :)

I posted the event to my LJ but won’t take and add the pictures til tomorrow as I’m a bit tired right now after being on my feet for a couple of hours making and frying chicken fingers and the potato salad at the same time.

6. As an American you would think I would have the better Potatoe Salad recipe…our Independence Day celebration and all…but NO, your recipe is the BEST I have ever made. Thank you for sharing.
    Linda

• Thank you for your kind comment :). It’s certainly a family favourite around here!

7. As a little kid, I added chopped dill pickles to my potato salad. Then I discovered capers. ;) So, your salad is almost the duplicate of mine, but I use sliced green onions instead of regular and often add finely chopped olives and chopped hard boiled egg. It’s a meal in a bowl!

Thanks for bumping this up. I haven’t made potato salad yet this summer. Now I will.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Salatet Batata | Five Euro Food - [...] [...]
  2. Old recipes revisited and some vacation photos | Five Euro Food - [...] I’m going for something simple – my potato salad. I know – everyone has a potato salad recipe, but …