Korv (Sausage) Stroganoff

Korv (Sausage) Stroganoff

Serves: 2
Cost: ~€0.90
Preparation time: ~10 minutes
Calories: ~740 per serving

Salutations! I mentioned posting something Swedish in my last post and so here we are today. Now, this isn’t going to be for everyone, and when you see the ingredients there are those who may even look down on this humble meal but please don’t misunderstand the dish. There are no delusions of grandeur here. This doesn’t masquerade as a fancy dish, or even a particularly healthy one, or, for that matter even a difficult one. The whole dish can be whipped up in around ten minutes. It’s warming, comforting and darn tasty, as well and being cheap and easy, and a favourite of kids and adults (but mainly kids) all over Sweden.

Traditionally the dish is made with with a sausage called Falukorv; a large, traditional Swedish sausage, made of a mixture of grated pork and beef with potato starch and mild spices. This sausage used to be available from IKEA, but then they went crazy and made the terrible decision to only sell their own brand of products in their food stores and as a result a replacement had to be found.

I found that, while not exactly the same, there’s a large sausage in France called a cervelas which serves the purpose wonderfully. Apparently cervelas translates in English to cervelat, a Swiss sausage, although in the pictures on the Wikipedia page the Swiss cervelats seem significantly smaller than the ones sold in France. If you’re not a fan of the processed meat sausages then you can equally add other varieties of sausage. The cream in the recipe can be substituted for a cream and milk blend if you wanted to make the dish a little healthier as well, and you can even use all tomato concentrate instead of ketchup and concentrate together. At the very least, I would recommend a good home-made ketchup, such as this wonderful sounding one, which Sissi at WithAGlass.com posted some weeks ago.

The dish is commonly served with rice (brown rice if you want to up the health value of it a little), but you can equally serve it with pasta or even boiled or mashed potatoes.

Korv Stroganoff

In my next post I’ll be writing about something oh, so delicious. Oh, so unhealthy, but so good. You’ll have to wait and see what that is and then after that I decided it’s time to make something sweet. It’s been a very long time since I made any kind of cake or cookie so I’ll set to work on something like that soon.

Have a good day everyone – see y’all soon :).

Korv (Sausage) Stroganoff

Ingredients

Korv Stroganoff ingredients

• 200g Cervelat Sausage (or, ideally, Falukorv)
  • 200ml Cream (or 100ml Milk and 100ml Cream)
  • 4tbsps Ketchup
  • 2tbsps Tomato Concentrate
  • 1tbsp Olive Oil
  • 1 large Onion
  • 1 red Bell Pepper
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

You’ll also need

• Rice, pasta or potatoes to serve as an accompaniment

Instructions

1. Start off by preparing your accompaniment. Place the pasta, rice or potatoes on to boil before preparing anything else, as the stroganoff will be ready by the time the accompaniment has cooked. Next, peel the onion and cut it in half. Slice the halves finely into half rings and then de-seed your bell pepper. Cut into slices and then finely chop the sausage into strips, about 1cm wide by 3cm long.
    Chopping the ingredients
  2. Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan and add in the onion. Fry until softened before adding in the sausage and browning lightly, before finally adding in the bell pepper. Once the bell pepper has softened add in the ketchup and tomato concentrate and mix well before finally adding in the cream. Stir well to blend everything together and allow to simmer for 30 seconds or so. The sauce should cook down and thicken quite quickly, although a little more cooking may be required if you’re using a milk and cream mix. Salt and pepper to taste and then serve with your desired accompaniment. Enjoy!
    Korv Stroganoff

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

48 Comments

1. Healthy schmealthy — this is delicious, warming comfort food!

• I couldn’t agree more wifey <3

2. Charles, this Swedish stroganoff looks fantastic. Hearty, filling and warming food we need in winter (and now!). The last photo looks so warm… I love it!
    The Swiss cervelas (written cervelat in the German speaking part) is even on the world heritage list! It’s the most eaten of all the Swiss sausages I think. There was even a big national crisis a couple of years ago: the casing used to be made with zebu intestines, imported from Brazil, and since the mad cows disease it can no longer be imported to Switzerland either. I must check what they use now instead.
    I am surprised you have found something like this because the cervelas I know from France is the one from Lyon (and it’s sold in the region around Switzerland too) and it’s completely different: http://www.achat-dijon.com/pro135-Cervelas-pistache-Cervelas-truffe-et-pistache-SALAISONS-DE-CAMPAGNE.htm It’s not finely ground and is often with pistachios and truffles. I loved the pistachio version but have never tried the truffle one.
    Your sausage looks like a Polish mortadela actually! ;-) (http://www.pl.all.biz/mortadela-g163738).
    The world of sausages is so so big…
    PS I’m starting to hate IKEA for what they do to their grocery shop. I haven’t had a single daim in years now! The thing they sell “instead” (as told me the shop assistant) is inedible. Do not buy it! I was lucky to taste it for free when they started to sell it. I hope no one will buy it and they will come back to daims. I also hope they will keep on selling my beloved fish roe paste (Kalles), but they stopped it too for about a year here in Switzerland!

• Hi Sissi – you’re right… it does look a lot like that Polish mortadela. Did you try a cervelat from France before? They really seem nothing like the Swiss ones, but it’s what they’re called here, so I’m not sure at all what to call it else!

Damn IKEA – yeah! I actually got my “order” delivered today. I made a food order on sverigeonline.se – it’s a Swedish and Scandinavian online store which ships to Europe. I was so happy to find it. The shipping is not cheap, sadly, but it’s great for an occasional treat!

• Charles, I have just been in the local Swiss supermarket. I saw exactly the same big sausage (similar to the Polish mortadela) called “saucisse de Lyon”. I almost started to laugh out loud!
        I had the French cervelas (the one from the region around Lyon, Rhône Alpes I linked to) and it’s delicious compared to the Swiss finely ground cervelas. On the other hand the Swiss make excellent finely ground saucisse de Vienne: it is smoked and I think the mutton casing changes a lot the taste too (although it doesn’t smell mutton, it just has more taste). Nothing in common with the French ones (I don’t even mention Knacki…).
        I want to visit Germany now… I have been thinking so much about sausages…

• Charles, thank you so much for the link! They have daim!!!!

• No worries Sissi – the shipping isn’t too cheap, but for an occasional treat it’s totally worth it :)

3. This sausage looks conspicuously like knockwurst, a processed meat sausage kinda of like baloney. I do love most sausages but sadly I can’t eat the very processed kind (like this). I would totally make this but sub in chorizo, so yummy!
    In Hungary, we have Lecso, I think Sissi made it once, so good!
    As for the ketchup, hate store bought as its mostly sugar, but am adoring all the home made versions, like ChgoJohn’s and Sissi’s!

• Hi Eva – haha, it is quite processed. I know some people aren’t fans of such things. I’m not sure about subbing chorizo… I think it might be a bit spicy (a bit “too” spicy I mean, and thus overpower the whole dish, since the rest is quite pleasantly bland) but that’s all personal choice of course. You can use tomato concentrate entirely, instead of ketchup, if you prefer as well :)

• Thank you so much, Eva! You are so kind to mention my recipes. I am very flattered :-)
      I usually am not a fan of finely ground sausages, but as I told Charles, the Swiss make excellent Wiener (Vienna sausages). They are smoked, have mutton casing (not plastic) and are irresistible… The French ones are just cardboard tasting in comparison. Now that you mentioned it, I want to make lesco! Miraculously we have still Hungarian (I mean imported from Hungary!) long white and red peppers in on of my Swiss supermarkets! They are probably stuffed with pesticides but they smell heavenly… (Nothing to do with the Turkish version, sold on the market). I will maybe make a Hungarian dish this weekend.

• Sorry to hijack the post, Charles, but Sissi, you mentioned lesco (I’ve seen in written lecso too) which my mom used to make but call something else … giuvetch (gyuvetch), though it bears no resemblance to the Bulgarian vegetable stew of the same name.

I used to dip fresh crusty bread in the juices cause you know my ‘fondness’ for veggies, or rather lack of fondness for them especially tomatoes. Incidentally the Mexican ‘sofrito’ is very similar to lesco. Do you put bacon (szalonna) in your lesco?

I’m still planning on making hortobagy palascinta one day. First I have to decide between making pork or chicken (csirke) paprikash.

• Sorry, A_Boleyn, it was a stupid typing mistake :-( Lecso of course! (with an accent on o).
          I have never put bacon in lecso, but I recently fry such dishes on duck or goose fat. It gives a wonderful aroma and a better taste.
          Now you have given my the idea… I should make paprikas pork! I have only prepared paprikàs csirke (which I love!).
          (Sorry Charles!)

4. Look down on this? Heck, no! Unhealthy always translates to Delicious! And, I grew up loving beef stroganoff. So, this is another exciting variation of my favorite comfort food. Aaahhhh … good memories …

• Haha, doesn’t it though? Can you imagine if things like doughnuts, chips and burgers were healthy? The world would be in fantastic physical shape! :D

5. I love the look of this and I can imagine that with the weather becoming progressively colder for you that a meal like this would be so comforting. I think with a couple of lettuce leaves on the side this would be a very healthy meal! xx

• Hi Charlie – definitely, lettuce is a save-all! What’s that… Super-triple-mega-bypass burger? Add some leaves – that’ll “enhealthen” it :D.

Seriously though – a small side salad would be a great addition :D

6. Comfort food indeed, Charles. I love food that satisfies the spirit as well as the body and I’m sure this was ‘yummy for your tummy’. :)

• Hi A_ – it certainly was. I actually love this dish so much I had it one year for my birthday dinner, haha!

• I can understand why the dish is so popular as it’s faster cooking than traditional beef stroganoff and probably a bit sweet from the ketchup, I’m guessing which is why kids like it. I find the sausage (falukorv) intriguing and would be interested in tasting it if it were ever available.

• Hi A_, they used to sell it in IKEA, I’m not sure if they still have it though… the stores here ditched all the non brand-name stuff and replaced it with their own inferior stuff :(

7. I love recipes that are quick to prepare.. even with grown children who drive themselves everywhere, I have many days where it’s tough to find time to pick up groceries, never mind cook something yummy. I was thinking of making John’s ketchup.. and I think it would be great in this.. here’s his link: http://fromthebartolinikitchens.com/2012/11/14/the-ketchup-that-came-down-the-mountain/ Thank you for your lovely link, I had no idea IKEA was so methodical in naming furniture. It’s almost borderline OCD, lol:D

• Hi Barb – John’s ketchup looks really lovely, Sissi’s too, the one I linked to in the post. Better than the store-bought stuff, although sometimes it has its place :D

8. Oh Charles – I really do love this dish! I love sausage, and I love being introduced to new sausages. There is a sausage place about a mile away that makes its own sausages and makes sausages from all around the world. Next time I go in I’m going to have to ask about Falukorv and Cervelat. I’ll bet they’ll have at least one of these. Thanks for this wonderful and easy dish!

• Hi MJ – I hope you’re able to find at least one of the sausages. They used to sell Falukorv in IKEA – not sure if they still do. Not entirely sure if you’ll be able to find locally made stuff because it has a protected status which means it has to satisfy certain criteria in order to be called Falukorv – not sure if one of those conditions means it has to be made in Sweden but good luck anyway!

9. This sausage looks very familiar to something I used to eat in Lithuania growing up, I think we used to call it something close to cervelat… anyhow, this dish looks perfect for November and to be whipped in a hurry! Have a nice weekend! :)

• Hi Gourmantine – if the Lithuanian version is anything like this one then it must be really yummy. Not the most healthy of foods, but pretty darn satisfying :)

10. I’m not sure why people feel the need to apologize for simplicity. I built my blog around it ;-). This is a great flavour-full (true sense of the word) meal. A go-to weeknight delight – and we all need those! The sauce looks so yummy Charles…

• Hi Kelly – when I see some of the things people post sometimes, if I come along and make a dish which takes only 10 minutes to make I feel a bit bad… and it’s hardly “haute cuisine”, haha, but still – it’s nice to have a good selection of different things.

11. If a dish can be whipped up in around ten minutes, is warming, comforting and tasty, that’s my kind of dish.

• Thanks Norma – it’s perfect for cold nights when all you want to do is eat, and fast!

12. I just finished dinner but these photos have made me HUNGRY! Looks delicious!

13. What a yummy twist on stroganoff…I know I’d have to sub some more ordinary sausage from around here, but I still think it would be yummy. Hope your little man is dong well :)

• Hi Liz – I think even normal sausage would work well. Some people suggested chorizo… I’d find it a bit too strong personally if it was all chorizo, but perhaps a mix?

• Hi Laura – isn’t it perfect for winter days :)

14. I can see why kids would love this! Another beautiful photo and I’m standing here tapping my foot for the next post. :)

• Thanks Maureen :)

15. I haven’t had falukorv in ages, and never tried falukorv stroganoff. Falukorv does have a bit of a mortadela like consistency, probably because of the potato filler. Even hamburger patties have potato – which makes the burger different, to put it politely.
    I suppose you can make this with pretty much any sausage. Chorizo would be nice, but I guess you are trying to maintain the authenticity of this recipe

• Never had falukorv stroganoff?! Oh my God – you must remedy that as soon as possible. Well, it’s not to everyone’s taste – it’s very simple, quite basic food, but I love it so much.

Burger patties with potato – urgh, I always make my own burger patties and I always use 100% pure meat. It’s easy to make, and at least then you know for sure what’s inside.

16. I bet the kids would love this! I probably would too. I’m not a big sausage eater, but when I get a craving….I get a serious craving. :)

• Hi Kristy – it’s massively popular kids’ food in Sweden so I’m sure they’d go nuts for it – you should definitely give it a try. Not sure if you’ll be able to find this sausage. Some people say it’s like mortadella… any kind of bland, pork, processed sausage would work fine, although if you prefer to go the non-processed route then you could sub in any other type of sausage really.

17. Comforting meals aren’t necessarily the healthiest but they usually are delicious…which is why they are comforting. No apologies needed as it is what we all seem to enjoy.

• Thanks Karen – couldn’t agree more. Think about baked potatoes laden with cheese and butter. So full of fat and carbs but oh-so-good!

18. Just discovered this and it should fit our bill nicely, except for the red pepper. I love, kids haven’t quite got there yet. I think I’ll try substituting mushrooms and/or sweetcorn first off.

• Hi Helen, thanks for dropping by. Too bad your kids don’t like red pepper, it really makes the dish I think. I did try it with sweetcorn once though (admittedly in addition to red pepper, but nevertheless…) and it was wonderful so I think sweetcorn in place of red pepper should be a very worthy substitute! :) Hope you enjoy it :)

Not sure if I mentioned above but it works great with pasta, rice or mashed potato!