Approx cost: €1
Approx calories (per 100g): 180
Approx preparation and cooking time: 5 mins
Unbelievably fast to make, can be stored in the refrigerator for around a week after making and served as a dip or accompaniment to many types of dishes, as well as making a fast snack when served with some fresh vegetables and/or bread.
- 2 x 400g cans of chick peas
- 2 tsps Tahini / Sesame paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Drain the chick peas from the cans, saving about 2 tbsp of the liquid. Empty the chick peas, liquid, garlic cloves and tahini paste into a mixer. You can adjust the amount of tahini paste required but don’t add too much or else the hummus will be very bitter. I find that approximately the maximum amount that can be picked up with a teaspoon (about 2 regular teaspoons-worth) is usually sufficient for 800g of chick peas. Add in about 0.1 litres olive oil and grind in some salt and pepper.
- Blend until smooth – This will take about 2 minutes and you’ll probably need to pour in more oil during this time. Allow around 0.1 – 0.2 litres olive oil to add in during the blending.
- Remove and serve in bowl – pour some extra olive oil over the top and serve however you like!