Basil and Blue Cheese Stuffed Jacket Potatoes
Approx cost: €1.50
Approx calories (per 1 potato): ~200
Approx preparation and baking time: 1 hour
I find that basil goes really well with potato, and this is a really easy dish to make. Very warming and satisfying! You can have it as a side or as a main and the ingredients can really be modified to suit just about any taste. Try adding in some sliced pepper or sweetcorn for some extra colour!
- 2 large Potatoes
- 1 bunch of fresh Basil
- 60g Blue Cheese
- 2 small Spring Onions, or half a medium sized normal Onion
- 6-8 Cherry Tomatoes or 1-2 medium sized Tomatoes
- 1tbsp Olive Oil
- Start by washing (scrubbing if necessary) the potatoes to remove any dirt. Using a fork, prick the potatoes well all over – don’t do what I did and forget to do this. After baking they have an annoying habit of exploding when touched, narrowly missing eyes! Place in an oven at around 160 degrees Celsius for about an hour. After an hour, stick a fork into them to ensure they’re soft and well-cooked all the way through.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cut in half. Using a spoon, scoop out the potato inside and add into a bowl. Chop the onion and tomatoes finely, and roughly chop the basil and blue cheese. Add to the potato in the bowl with the oil and a bit of ground salt and pepper. Mix well and spoon back into the potato shells. Drizzle a little oil over the top and return to the oven and bake for another 10 minutes or so until hot.
- Serve out, either on their own or on the side of something else and enjoy!