Blanched Broccoli with Lemon Juice and Garlic
Approx cost: €1.00
Approx calories (per 100g): ~30
Approx preparation and baking time: 15 minutes
I recently went to a vegan buffet restaurant in Stockholm and they were serving this amazing broccoli. Broccoli has a habit of being absolutely disgusting when done badly, and unbelievably amazing when done “right”. This is only just plunged in boiling water, just to soften the outside slightly, so it retains its shape and crunch. The lemon juice and garlic go perfectly with it to make a really fantastic side-dish. Don’t worry about keeping it warm – it’s best served cold, or at room-temperature, as a perfect accompaniment for just about everything!
- 1 head of Broccoli or Calabrese
- 3 cloves of Garlic
- Juice from 1 Lemon
- Bring a large pan of water, with about 2tsp salt (optional) to the boil. There should be enough water to well cover all the broccoli. While it’s boiling up, chop the broccoli into good 1-bite or 2-bite-sized pieces.
- When the water is boiling, plunge the broccoli into the water and boil for about 1.5 minutes. Meanwhile, mince or finely chop the garlic and mix with the lemon juice.
- Drain the broccoli, rinse well with cold water to stop the cooking process and transfer back to the hot pan. Pour in the lemon juice and garlic and mix or shake around well to ensure the broccoli is well covered.
- Plate up and serve. Makes a fantastic accompaniment for just about everything!