Approx cost: €2.50
Approx calories (per pie): ~200
Approx preparation time and cooking time: 40 minutes
With Christmas just around the corner I figured what better thing to post than a recipe for some mince pies. It seems people not from England tend to find this dish rather peculiar, and it does call for a jar of mincemeat, which is probably out of the question unless you live anywhere near England, or have some nice, kind, family member who can bring some over for you! Eat on their own with some tea, or with some cream and brandy-butter as a festive dessert.
– 340g Plain Flour
– 1 jar Mincemeat (the fruit variety!)
– 85g Butter
– 85g Vegetable oil based margarine
- Place the flour and butter/margarine into a bowl and rub through your fingers for a few minutes until the mix resembles bread-crumbs and there are no longer any lumps of fat left.
- Add in a bit of water, bit by bit, about half a tablespoon at a time, binding with your hands until you make a firm ball which sticks well together, without being slimy or sticky.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and roll out until about 3mm thick. Cut out into rounds and press gently into the mince pie / fairy cake tin. Place about 1 teaspoon of mincemeat inside each pie form and press down gently.
- Press the pastry together again and roll out once again to the same thickness as before. Using a smaller cutter, cut out enough rounds to cover the tops of the pies. Using the pastry brush, brush each pie with milk and bake in a very hot oven – around 180 degrees Celsius – for around 10-15 minutes, until the pies are nicely browned on top.
- Dust with icing sugar when cool and serve on their own or with some cream and brandy butter!