Approx cost: €3
Approx calories (per 100g): ~80
Approx preparation time: 30 minutes
I love this stuff – seriously – give me a bowl of hummus and a bowl of this and a loaf of bread and I’m in heaven. This is actually really healthy and makes a fantastic dip or accompaniment with meat such as lamb. If you’re like me you’ll love the fresh taste of the lemon, so this recipe is quite lemon-heavy – feel free to half the amount if you find it too much.
– 2 good-sized Aubergines
– Juice from 1 lemon
– 1 small 25g pot of natural yoghurt
– ~3 cloves of garlic
– 1 tbsp Tahini paste
– 1 tsp ground Cumin
– 1 tsp Rock salt
– 1 tsps freshly ground Pepper
– 2-3 tbsps Olive oil
You’ll also need
- Start by heating your grill to high. Make holes in the aubergines all over with a fork and put them under the grill. Grill until the skins are blackish, around 25 minutes, turning regularly to ensure even cooking and then remove from the grill.
- Allow the aubergines to cool for a few minutes before removing the skins, which should peel right off. Cut them in half length-ways and put into a sieve or collander to allow any extra liquid to drain away. Meanwhile, pound up the garlic and rock salt in a pestle and mortar – alternatively, chop the garlic finely.
- When extra liquid has drained away from the aubergines place all the rest of the ingredients in a food processor – Grilled aubergine, lemon juice, yoghurt, tahini paste, garlic/salt mix, ground black pepper, ground cumin – you can also add in a tablespoon of olive oil. Blend thoroughly until smooth – around a minute – and then transfer to a bowl for serving. Drizzle the rest of the oil over the top before serving!