Approx cost: €1.50
Approx calories (per cake): ~200
Approx preparation and cooking time: 45 minutes
These cupcakes are super cheap and fast to make. I often make a more luxurious version but when you only have the basic ingredients on-hand these are awesome. Light, moist and fluffy, you won’t find them lasting very long.
– 170g Sugar
– 170g Butter
– 3 eggs
– 160g Self-Raising Flour (or plain flour + 5g Baking Powder)
– 10g Cocoa Powder
– 180g Icing Sugar
– 20g Cocoa Powder
– 100g Butter
– 1tbsp Milk
- Start off by preparing the cake mix. Add the sugar and butter into a bowl and mix well until creamy and fluffy.
- Crack the eggs into the mix and stir in and then add in the flour (and baking powder if needed), and cocoa powder and mix well.
- Split the mix between paper cases. You’ll need around 15-16 cases for this amount of mix. In case you have no paper cases, spoon the mix into a greased muffin tin. Bake in a preheated oven around 160 degrees Celsius for 20-25 minutes. They’re done when they’ve risen significantly and if you stick a fork into them it should come out clean
- When the cakes are done, remove them from the oven and leave to cool while you make the frosting. Add the icing sugar, cocoa powder and butter into a bowl. Add the 1 tbsp of milk and and mix until smooth. If you find the frosting too stiff you may need to add a splash more milk.
- Once the cakes are cool, spread the frosting (thickly) over the cakes and tuck in! 😉